Visualforce is a component-based user interface (UI) framework that allows the development of strong and reusable interfaces. Apex is a platform for developing software as a service (SaaS) applications based on the CRM functionality of Salesforce.
What is Apex and where to use it:
Apex is a dynamically inputted, object-oriented programming language that lets developers implement flow and transaction control statements on the server in combination with calls to the API. By utilizing the syntax similar to Java and performing as a database stored procedure, Apex empowers developers to include business logic to all system events, like button clicks, record updates, etc. The Apex code can be generated by Web service requests and also from object triggers.
Apex can be used in the below scenarios.
- Create Web services and email services.
- Achieve complex validations over multiple objects.
- Develop intricate business processes that are not aided by the workflow.
- To customize the transactional logic that happens over the complete transaction and not like transaction occurring with the solitary record.
- Combine the custom logic to an additional action like storing a record to make it occur whenever the action is performed. This will occur at all the operations generating from the user interface, SOAP API or a visual force page.
The Apex platform comprises of three tools:
Builder: It is an on-demand element that lets effortless, drag-and-drop options for customization with a restricted set of features. These applications are comparatively easy to develop but have to depend on a restricted, already defined set of elements and business algorithms.
API: API is a technique of recovering raw data from servers of Salesforce and is utilized by external programs to salesforce such as Java apps, which require permission to info on a salesforce account of the client.
Code: Code is a feature-filled programming language which is implemented on servers of salesforce and has already built methods for user data accession. Apex Code provides agility in development for the Apex API along with fewer calls between client and server. Apex API programs have to connect with the Salesforce server every time they record or retrieve the data. Apex Code apps take care of these transactions by themselves, with just a requirement of server-client connection for user input and final output presentation.
What is Visualforce and when to use it:
Visualforce framework lets developers create innovative and customized UI that can be presented natively upon the Lightning platform. It involves an HTML like mark-up language, and few server-side controllers which do the fundamental DB actions like queries or saving, very easily. Visualforce can help in developing many multistep procedures and also aid in creating customized control flow via any app. It also supports in describing navigation outlines and data related norms for efficient and swift app interactions. Visualforce can also be used in creating a visual force page definition which involves two major elements:
Controllers: A Visualforce controller is a group of directives that lay down the happenings when an individual mingles with the elements mentioned in related Visualforce mark-up actions like when an individual clicks a link or a button. Controllers also let the data that needs to be showed on a page by having the power to modify the behavior of any element.
- A standard controller involves the similar functionalities and logic that is employed for a standard Salesforce page or customized logic of developers with a controller class. The primary DB functions are simplified by server-side standard controllers. If you consider a situation where there is the usage of a regular accounts controller and clicking a link in the Visualforce page has the same result as clicking on the link on a standard account edit page. If there is a scenario where there is the usage of the standard controller on a page and the users do not possess’ rights to the object there will be an insufficient rights error message. To escape this scenario, you need to verify the accessibility of the user for an object and show the related elements.
- A regular list controller empowers you to develop Visualforce pages that can show all the records like list, mass action or related list pages.
- A custom controller is a class implemented in Apex that executes all the logics of the page, by not using a standard controller. If there is the usage of the custom controller, there is the option of describing the navigation components, but with an added task of again implementing all the behaviors that were defined in the standard controller.
- Similar to other Apex classes, custom controllers implement totally in a system model, that ignores the object and field-level access of the existing user. You can stipulate if a user could implement procedures in a custom controller depending on his profile.
- A class of controller extension described in Apex dominates the functionalities in a custom or standard controller. Extensions will permit you to utilize the operations of a different controller when pushing customized logic.
- Since the standard controllers perform in the user style, that involves user permissions, sharing norms and field equal security of the existing user is imposed, spreading a standard controller will permit you to create a Visualforce page that obliges to user rights.
Salesforce provides various software solutions with a foundation for users/engineers to create customized software. Lifting the business from one level to another is not a straightforward task and requires smart strategies. You will shine only if you possess a systematic and well-organized way of gathering all the inputs so that they can be converted to customer attraction and increasing sales. Salesforce consulting services in Salt Lake City, by Adaptid, have skilled and experienced champions in the market giving trusted software services and solutions for various industries.