There are multiple options available in the current technological world to host web and mobile services. Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Heroku are two highly employed cloud services that provide the best service to deploy, administer, or upgrade web and mobile apps. While AWS and Heroku services offer us diverse cloud computing resources to host your service, which one do you choose? It could be trickier if you are a first-time user. Don’t worry, your job would be easier if you read the complete article.
- Amazon web service (AWS) provides trusted, flexible, simple and scalable, and efficient cloud computing solutions with a huge set of cloud services that constitutes a comprehensive platform. Being an Infrastructure working as a service (IaaS) product, it provides several services that include data analytics and administration. AWS is also termed as the heart of storage, analytics, databases, networking, and deployment/delivery options provided to the developers.
- With robust infrastructure abilities and flexibility, AWS is suited for intricate solutions which need bigger composition and administration. Due to this, there will be a requirement of a DevOps team to take care of the complex administration elements which in turn needs more time to be spent on infrastructure management instead of the development of complex products. The combination of AWS with EC2 is best for executing apps with high loads and requires more calculation capabilities. AWS offers several automated features such as outlining and scaling. There will be quicker deployments according to the project necessities.
- Several diverse options available in the AWS lead to confusion among the developers as they will face the challenge of swiftly selecting a solution. Heroku offers simpler deployments in comparison as AWS requires a dedicated DevOps team to take care of infrastructure and deployment-related problems. There will be a requirement for the developers to carry several AWS management functions even if there are options for automated activities in the AWS.
- Heroku functions as a Platform as a Service (PaaS) product that is based on AWS, but is highly unique from that of the Elastic Compute Cloud. With the availability of a significant number of useful add-ons, Heroku seems to be simpler to use when compared to AWS. The add-ons range from security services, analytic, alerts, etc that are employed for diverse activities. Due to such aspects, Heroku is highly simple to use than AWS. It consists of a highly equipped runtime environment, app servers, an in-built operating system, etc. These aid in having a flawless integration with several development tools. Due to this, there will not be any necessity to worry about managing the infrastructure which is needed in AWS EC2. Heroku helps in easy development, deployment, and scaling. It is highly renowned for the wider add-ons which aid many management tools and notifications. Due to the internal administration of its wide range of tools, it will aid in the development of run-time apps without worrying about its infrastructure.
- Having the important aspect as ‘Dynos’, Heroku is a PaaS solution. This is an exclusive lightweight Linux container in which all the app processes are executed. Being a business, you can focus on building the app from the core idea and deploy it without any hiccups on Heroku. There will be a constant organization of the needed infrastructure and key resources such as databases and storage for the web or mobile app. Companies with a restricted budget will be benefitted heavily as there will not be a need to have a DevOps team in place.
- Heroku offers a huge option for developers to trust on Git repository for all the tasks and develop the apps in any type of technology. This aids in building swiftly with the aid of a wide range of add-ons which are both free and paid. The completely equipped environment and the advanced app servers let developers save time with simple development. The Command Line Interface (CLI) with a simple dashboard of Heroku makes it simple for easy administration. The in-built tools allow for flawless integration without any hiccups whatsoever. Heroku allows for easy deployment right from starting to production within no time without any previous arrangement relying on the kind of app. Heroku’s platform consists of all the necessary details automating the complete set up of servers that is important for deployment but is required to be done on the AWS.
Major differences between Heroku and AWS:
- Heroku provides an already equipped environment that lets the developers for faster deployment of the code but in comparison, AWS service is more complex.
- Heroku is a container-based cloud platform offering (PaaS) but AWS is a secure cloud services platform providing offering all IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
- Heroku is best suited if there are lower computing needs but AWS is best suited for huge computational requirements.
- Due to its advantages like in-built add-ons and not a requirement of DevOps etc, it is beneficial for start-ups while AWS is used for medium and huge-sized companies.
- Heroku will not require maintenance for the infrastructure when compared to AWS that requires dev-Ops to take care of them.
- With coverage of fewer locations, Heroku costs slightly more than AWS.
Building a start-up? Choose Heroku:
If you are a start-up looking to develop your first app, then, select Heroku over AWS especially if the venture is into tiny cloud apps. Heroku is globally chosen as the best option if there is a lone developer or a small team with a start-up venture. The developer need not worry about the working of infrastructure and just sit back and deploy the app without any hurdles or complex works. Due to this unparalleled advantage, Heroku is generally chosen over AWS especially for small cloud apps.
Adaptid is a full-service Salesforce consulting firm focussed on scaling up with both start-ups and huge enterprises. We have a smart team that develops strategies according to the specific needs of the business and infuses profitable solutions in every project.